VERY FINE. A RAR PRISONER-OF-WAR COVER FROM RICKERSVILLE HOSPITAL S.C., SENT BY FLAG-OF-TRUCE VIA THE POCOTALIGO AND PORT ROYAL EXCHANGE ROUTE. ONLY FIVE COVERS ARE KNOWN FROM THIS HOSPITAL.
The four Rickersville Hospital covers listed in the Harrison book are all from Lt. Oliver R. McNary, a member of Co. E of the 12th Pa. Volunteers (see Siegel Sale 988, lot 212). This is a fifth cover which is tied to Rickersville by the dateline in the letter.
Ex Dr. Agre. Accompanied by prisoner's biography. With 1995 C.S.A. certificate
VERY FINE APPEARING AND EXTREMELY RARE PRISONER-OF-WAR COVER FROM FLORENCE PRISON, SENT BY FLAG-OF-TRUCE VIA POCOTALIGO AND PORT ROYAL. FEWER THAN TEN ARE KNOWN.
According to Wikipedia: "The Florence Stockade was built and became operational in September 1864, and was in use during the final fall and winter of the war. During its time of operation, anywhere from 15,000 to 18,000 captives were held there. The need for additional prisons became imperative after General Sherman captured Atlanta on September 1, 1864. Andersonville prison in south Georgia was thought to be in the path of Sherman and the Confederate prison authorities determined to relocate the approximately 30,000 Union prisoners then at Andersonville. Because Florence had three railroads, and was thought to be secure, it was chosen as a site for a newly constructed prison. To keep the Union soldiers in order during relocation, they were told that they were to be paroled. Many of those who were unable to walk or not stable enough to travel were left behind in Andersonville. Of the total number of prisoners that passed through the Florence Stockade, 2,802 Union soldiers died there and most were buried in unmarked trenches in what would become the Florence National Cemetery after the war."
Ex Walske. Illustrated in Special Routes (p. 242)