VERY FINE. A PHENOMENAL COMBINATION USE OF THE CHEFOO TREATY PORT STAMP AND THE 5-CENT 1890 ISSUE.
The local post office in Chefoo was established in early July 1893. and stamps were procured from Germany and introduced on October 6 of that year. Operations were taken over by the Imperial Chinese Post Office on Feb. 2, 1897. Combination covers such as this are rare.
VERY FINE. A BEAUTIFUL AND RARE COMBINATION OF CHINKIANG TREATY PORT AND UNITED STATES 1890 ISSUE STAMPS.
According to the Pratt book, towards the end of 1893, the Chinkiang Municipal Council decided to take over the postal service, effective as of August 6, 1894. New stamp designs were prepared and a printer in Shanghai was selected, but a fire on June 29 at a cotton shop next door spread and the presses and stones were damaged. A new printer was quickly found in Japan, who was able to produce and deliver the new stamps in time for the August 6 start of service. The service was absorbed into the Imperial Chinese Post on Feb. 2, 1897.
VERY FINE. A SCARCE COMBINATION USE OF THE FOOCHOW TREATY PORT STAMP AND THE UNITED STATES 1890 ISSUE.
Foochow was one of the five original treaty ports and was opened to trade in 1842. A large foreign presence meant a high volume of mail. According to the Pratt book (p. 345), the Foochow office of the Shanghai Local Post was opened sometime in 1890, with all revenues going to Shanghai. In 1894 the local foreign residents and consuls voted unanimously to establish a local post office, to open January 1, 1895. The new stamps were not ready until the first of August, approximately two months before this was sent. The Foochow office was absorbed by the Imperial Chinese Post on Feb. 2, 1897.
VERY FINE AND RARE LATE USE FROM THE FOOCHOW BRANCH OF THE SHANGHAI LOCAL POST OFFICE. THIS FOOCHOW MARKING IS EXTREMELY RARE IN BLUE.
According to the Pratt book (p. 345), the Foochow office of the Shanghai Local Post was opened sometime in 1890. Two types of datestamps are known. The marking struck on this cover was primarily used between 1890 and 1893; Reinhardt records it only in black. The second type of marking, with Chinese characters in place of the date, is known only in blue, used during the same time period. The example offered here is a relatively late usage (1894) for the marking and is a rare blue strike. The office closed on Dec. 31, 1894, with the opening of the independent Foochow Local Post Office on Jan. 1, 1895.
VERY FINE. A RARE COMBINATION COVER WITH THE WUHU TREATY PORT STAMP AND THE 5-CENT 1890 ISSUE, SENT THRU THE U.S. POSTAL AGENCY IN SHANGHAI.
Wuhu became a treaty port in 1876. The history of the Wuhu Treaty Port stamps, described in the Pratt book, is an interesting one. Wuhu did not have a Municipal Council of its own, so Arthur Knight Gregson appointed himself postmaster at Wuhu. Lacking official recognition, his post originally fell into the category of a private post. To rectify this situation he organized a meeting of the expat community in Wuhu on June 23, 1894, which agreed to organize a postal service with him as its postmaster. The Shanghai Municipal Council accepted this appointment on July 23, 1894, and his stamps became valid for postage. In 1897 the Imperial China Post was established, ushering in a new era of postal communication in China.