EXTREMELY FINE ORIGINAL HAND-WRITTEN REVOLUTIONARY WAR ACT OF THE MASSACHUSETTS PROVINCIAL CONGRESS, ESTABLISHING THE MASSACHUSETTS PROVISIONAL POST OFFICE. THIS IS ONE OF TWO RECORDED COPIES AND THE ONLY COPY IN PRIVATE HANDS.
By May of 1775 the Port of Boston had been closed to general commerce by the British and the Revolutionary War had begun the previous month at Lexington and Concord. The Boston Committee of Safety recommended that the Provincial Congress of Massachusetts address the problem of the colony's postal service. On May 13, 1775 the Congress authorized an independent post with the main office at Cambridge (Boston being occupied by the British). The act provided service to 13 other key towns across the state and established rates based on shillings and pence. The post lasted only a few months and by November 1775, rates were again expressed in pennyweights and grains of silver, based on the September 30 act of the Continental Congress.
Only two copies of this hand-written act are recorded. The other example is in the permanent archives of the State of Rhode Island
VERY FINE AND EXTREMELY RARE EXAMPLE OF THE "BOSTON" STRAIGHTLINE MARKING, STRUCK IN 1777 FOLLOWING THE BRITISH EVACUATION OF THE CITY.
Until the discovery of archival examples of the Boston straightline, no postal markings were known from Boston in 1776 and 1777, during the period following the British evacuation. The earliest reported use of a Confederation-period straightline is not until 1782.