Contact Siegel
6 West 48th Street
9th Floor
New York, NY 10036
Contact by phone:
New York: (212) 753-6421
Dallas: (214) 754-5991

Sale 1189 — The John Birkinbine II Collection of Arizona and New Mexico Postal History

Sale Date — Tuesday, 23 October, 2018

Category — Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory

Lot
Symbol
Photo/Description
Cat./Est. Value
Realized
1036
c
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1036, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory, “Albuquerque NM April 27th” (ca 1855) Manuscript Postmark--Fort Defiance to Albuquerque by Military Express, then by Stage to Santa Fe, and by Hall-Hockaday Contract Mail to Independence, Missouri. 3¢ Red on White Nesbitt entire (U9) addressed in the hand of Harriet L. Shaw--the wife of Rev. John Milton Shaw, a Baptist schoolteacher who served as military chaplain at Fort Defiance from 1853 to 1856--to Harriet’s mother, Lusanna Bidwell, in North Clarendon, Vermont, carried by military express from Fort Defiance to Albuquerque, entered post office with manuscript postmark, then carried by stage to Santa Fe and from there to Independence, small tear at top into postmark, minor restoration--reported to be the earliest cover from Fort Defiance--ex Dr. Dike and Shipley

E. 1,000-1,500
0
1037
c
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1037, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory, “Fort Fillmore NM August 20/56” Manuscript Postmark--Military Express from Fort Fillmore to Fort Stanton, New Mexico, via Albuquerque. 3¢ Red on Buff Nesbitt entire (U10) addressed to Capt. A. W. Bowman at Fort Stanton with sender’s directive “via Albuquerque”, since Fort Stanton did not have a post office at this time, this was carried by military express, slight toning, Very Fine, one of three reported Fort Fillmore postmarks and notable with an address to another territorial fort--Fort Fillmore was established in September 1851, it was occupied by the Confederate army in 1861, then occupied briefly by the California Volunteers before U.S. officials closed it in 1862--Fort Stanton was established in 1855 and named for Capt. Henry W. Stanton, who was killed in January 1855 during a campaign against Apaches--ex Everett

E. 2,000-3,000
0
Back to Top
1038
c
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1038, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory, “Fort Fillmore N.M. June 5th 1858” Manuscript Postmark--Fort Fillmore to Albuquerque by Military Express, then by Stage to Santa Fe, and by Hall-Hockaday Contract Mail to Independence, Missouri. Pen “X” cancel on 3¢ Dull Red, Ty. III (26), a few short perfs, on yellow cover to Philadelphia, slightly reduced and small tear at left, a bit soiled, otherwise Fine, one of three reported postmarks from Fort Fillmore, located in the Arizona portion of New Mexico Territory from 1851 to 1862, in June 1858 the Butterfield Route had not yet started operations, so this was sent north to Santa Fe for the Hall-Hockaday stage to Independence

E. 1,500-2,000
1,000
Back to Top
1039
c
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1039, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory, “Socorro NM June 3” (1859)--Socorro to Albuquerque by Military Express, then by Stage to Santa Fe, and by Hall-Porter Contract Mail to Independence, Missouri. Pen cancel on 3¢ Dull Red, Ty. III (26), corner crease, on cover addressed in the hand of Harriet L. Shaw--the wife of Rev. John Milton Shaw, a Baptist schoolteacher who served as military chaplain at Fort Defiance from 1853 to 1856--to Miss Cornelia A. Bidwell, Wolcott, N.Y., pencil receipt docketing with 1859 yeardate, John Birkinbine states that this was picked up by a military express rider en route from Fort Craig to Albuquerque, then by stage to Santa Fe and further on to Independence, slightly reduced at right and edge tears, otherwise Fine, after Shaw resigned as chaplain at Fort Defiance, the family moved to Socorro in 1857, this is an extremely rare early Socorro postmark (Vincente St. Vrain was postmaster from Nov. 2, 1855, to Nov. 8, 1860)--ex Everett and Shipley

E. 1,000-1,500
0
Back to Top
1040
c
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1040, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory, “Fort Defiance N.M. Sept. 12” (1857) Manuscript Postmark--Fort Defiance to Albuquerque by Military Express, then by Stage to Santa Fe, and by Hall-Hockaday Contract Mail to Independence, Missouri. Neat pen strokes on 3¢ Dull Red, Ty. II (11A), slightly cut in, corner creases and tiny tear, on buff cover addressed to Mrs. Eliza G. Ridgway, care of Child, Shepherd & Ridgway, 15 Tremont Street, Boston (this firm practiced dentistry and advertised half-price service to clergymen), small notation “Beads” (Indian beads?)

VERY FINE. THIS IS REPORTED TO BE THE EARLIEST OF THE FEW KNOWN MANUSCRIPT POSTMARKS FROM FORT DEFIANCE, USED BEFORE THE CIRCULAR DATESTAMP WAS IMPLEMENTED.

Fort Defiance, the first military post in present-day Arizona (then part of New Mexico Territory), was established on September 18, 1851, by Col. Edwin V. Sumner during his campaign against the Navajo. The conflicts with Navajo, generally over use of land for grazing and theft of livestock, escalated into two major attacks—one in 1856 and another in 1860. In 1861, with the start of the Civil War, the U.S. Army abandoned Fort Defiance. It was reestablished as Fort Canby in 1863. The fort did not have a U.S. post office until the appointment of John E. Weber as postmaster on April 9, 1856. The post office was discontinued on October 21, 1863. There was no mail contract for service to and from the fort, so military couriers were used to bring mail to Albuquerque, where it was carried by stage to Santa Fe and from there by the Hall-Hockaday contract mail stage to Independence.

This and the covers in lots 1043 and 1044 are from the same sender and are dated in September 1857 and June-July 1858, which corresponds to the periods in which members of the Beale Expedition were located at Fort Defiance. This expedition was tasked with exploring the roads from Fort Defiance west to the Colorado River, which resulted in the construction of Beale’s Wagon Road. Camels imported from the Middle East were tested for the first time on this expedition. We have not been able to establish a connection between the name Ridgway and the Beale Expedition.

Ex Dr. Dike and Everett

E. 3,000-4,000
5,500
Back to Top
1041
c
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1041, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory, “Ft Defiance N.M. Dec 28th” (1857) Manuscript Postmark--Fort Defiance to Albuquerque by Military Express, then by Stage to Santa Fe, and by Hall-Hockaday Contract Mail to Independence, Missouri. Postmark and wavy line ties 3¢ Dull Red, Ty. II (11A), ample margins to slightly in, on blue folded letter datelined “Fort Defiance NM Dec. 27, 1857” from 1st Lieut. John P. Hatch (awarded Medal of Honor in Civil War) to Hon. M. P. Hatch, Oswego, New York, receipt docketing (with “1858” yeardate error), file crease through stamp

VERY FINE APPEARANCE. AN EXTREMELY RARE MANUSCRIPT FORT DEFIANCE POSTMARK.

Fort Defiance, the first military post in present-day Arizona (then part of New Mexico Territory), was established on September 18, 1851, by Col. Edwin V. Sumner during his campaign against the Navajo. The conflicts with Navajo, generally over use of land for grazing and theft of livestock, escalated into two major attacks—one in 1856 and another in 1860. In 1861, with the start of the Civil War, the U.S. Army abandoned Fort Defiance. It was reestablished as Fort Canby in 1863. The fort did not have a U.S. post office until the appointment of John E. Weber as postmaster on April 9, 1856. The post office was discontinued on October 21, 1863. There was no mail contract for service to and from the fort, so military couriers were used to bring mail to Albuquerque, where it was carried by stage to Santa Fe and from there by the Hall-Hockaday contract mail stage to Independence.

This letter contains an interesting report on postal arrangements: “After this we expect our mail with more regularity as Major Brooks has established a semi-monthly mail to Albuquerque...”

Ex Rubel and Longfellow

E. 2,000-3,000
2,200
Back to Top
1042
c
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1042, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory“Santa Fe N.M. 1 Feb.” (1853), “Santa Fe N.M. 1 Feb.” (1853)“Santa Fe N.M. 1 Feb.” (1853). Circular datestamp ties 3¢ Orange Red, Ty. II (11A), ample margins, on folded letter from Harriet L. Shaw, wife of Rev. John Milton Shaw, datelined “Santa Fe Jan. 28th 52”--which must be 1853, based on her mention of her infant son “Georgie,” who was born in 1852--to her mother Lusanna Bidwell in North Clarendon, Vermont, carried on Waldo-Hall contract mail stage to Independence, Missouri, at the time of writing the Shaw family preparing to depart for Fort Defiance, where Rev. Shaw was appointed military chaplain, she mentions “We leave tomorrow for our distant Navajo home,” Very Fine, ex Shipley

E. 1,000-1,500
0
Back to Top
1043
c
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1043, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory“Fort Defiance N.M. Jun. 3” (1858) Circular Datestamp--Fort Defiance to Albuquerque by Military Express, then by Stage to Santa Fe, and by Hall-Hockaday Contract Mail to Independence, Missouri, “Fort Defiance N.M. Jun. 3” (1858) Circular Datestamp--Fort Defiance to Albuquerque by Military Express, then by Stage to Santa Fe, and by Hall-Hockaday Contract Mail to Independence, Missouri“Fort Defiance N.M. Jun. 3” (1858) Circular Datestamp--Fort Defiance to Albuquerque by Military Express, then by Stage to Santa Fe, and by Hall-Hockaday Contract Mail to Independence, Missouri. 3¢ Dull Red, Ty. III (26), tied by circular datestamp on buff cover addressed to Mrs. Eliza G. Ridgway, care of Child, Shepherd & Ridgway, 15 Tremont Street, Boston (this firm practiced dentistry and advertised half-price service to clergymen), same correspondence as lot 1040--possibly connected to the Beale Expedition

VERY FINE. ONE OF FIVE REPORTED COVERS WITH THE FORT DEFIANCE DATESTAMP.

Fort Defiance, the first military post in present-day Arizona (then part of New Mexico Territory), was established on September 18, 1851, by Col. Edwin V. Sumner during his campaign against the Navajo. The conflicts with Navajo, generally over use of land for grazing and theft of livestock, escalated into two major attacks—one in 1856 and another in 1860. In 1861, with the start of the Civil War, the U.S. Army abandoned Fort Defiance. It was reestablished as Fort Canby in 1863. The fort did not have a U.S. post office until the appointment of John E. Weber as postmaster on April 9, 1856. The post office was discontinued on October 21, 1863. There was no mail contract for service to and from the fort, so military couriers were used to bring mail to Albuquerque, where it was carried by stage to Santa Fe and from there by the Hall-Hockaday contract mail stage to Independence.

Ex Dr. Dike and Shipley

E. 2,000-3,000
2,100
Back to Top
1044
c
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1044, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory“Fort Defiance N.M. Jul. 16” (1858) Circular Datestamp--Fort Defiance to Albuquerque by Military Express, then by Stage to Santa Fe, and by Hall-Porter Contract Mail to Independence, Missouri, “Fort Defiance N.M. Jul. 16” (1858) Circular Datestamp--Fort Defiance to Albuquerque by Military Express, then by Stage to Santa Fe, and by Hall-Porter Contract Mail to Independence, Missouri“Fort Defiance N.M. Jul. 16” (1858) Circular Datestamp--Fort Defiance to Albuquerque by Military Express, then by Stage to Santa Fe, and by Hall-Porter Contract Mail to Independence, Missouri. 3¢ Red on Buff Nesbitt entire (U10) with clear strike of datestamp, addressed to Dr. James Shepherd, care of Child, Shepherd & Ridgway, 15 Tremont Street, Boston (this firm practiced dentistry and advertised half-price service to clergymen), correspondence related to lots 1040 and 1043--possibly connected to the Beale Expedition

EXTREMELY FINE. THE FINEST KNOWN STRIKE OF THE RARE FORT DEFIANCE DATESTAMP.

Fort Defiance, the first military post in present-day Arizona (then part of New Mexico Territory), was established on September 18, 1851, by Col. Edwin V. Sumner during his campaign against the Navajo. The conflicts with Navajo, generally over use of land for grazing and theft of livestock, escalated into two major attacks—one in 1856 and another in 1860. In 1861, with the start of the Civil War, the U.S. Army abandoned Fort Defiance. It was reestablished as Fort Canby in 1863. The fort did not have a U.S. post office until the appointment of John E. Weber as postmaster on April 9, 1856. The post office was discontinued on October 21, 1863. There was no mail contract for service to and from the fort, so military couriers were used to bring mail to Albuquerque, where it was carried by stage to Santa Fe and from there by the Hall-Hockaday contract mail stage to Independence.

E. 2,000-3,000
1,100
Back to Top
1045
c
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1045, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory12¢ Black (17), 12¢ Black (17)12¢ Black (17). Horizontal pair, large to huge margins except at upper left, tied by “Fort Defiance N.M. Aug. 18” (1858) circular datestamp on buff cover to Sessenheim, France--carried from Fort Defiance to Albuquerque by military express, then by stage to Santa Fe, and by Hall-Porter contract mail to Independence--red “New York Paid 6 Sep. 25” 6¢ credit datestamp, “ET-UNIS SERV. AM. A.C. D 2 OCT 58” arrival datestamp, Paris and Paris-to-Strasbourg transit and receiving backstamps (all dated Oct. 12, 1858), left stamp has diagonal scoring line, backflap reattached

VERY FINE. AN OUTSTANDING AND EXTREMELY RARE COVER TO EUROPE FROM FORT DEFIANCE IN NEW MEXICO TERRITORY.

Fort Defiance, the first military post in present-day Arizona (then part of New Mexico Territory), was established on September 18, 1851, by Col. Edwin V. Sumner during his campaign against the Navajo. The conflicts with Navajo, generally over use of land for grazing and theft of livestock, escalated into two major attacks—one in 1856 and another in 1860. In 1861, with the start of the Civil War, the U.S. Army abandoned Fort Defiance. It was reestablished as Fort Canby in 1863. The fort did not have a U.S. post office until the appointment of John E. Weber as postmaster on April 9, 1856. The post office was discontinued on October 21, 1863. There was no mail contract for service to and from the fort, so military couriers were used to bring mail to Albuquerque, where it was carried by stage to Santa Fe and from there by the Hall-Hockaday contract mail stage to Independence.

The 12¢ pair overpays the 15¢ treaty rate to France. The sender might have been confused about the applicable rate and incorrectly applied the postage for a letter to England.

E. 5,000-7,500
0
Back to Top
1046
c
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1046, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory10¢ Green, Ty. III/II/III (33/32/33), 10¢ Green, Ty. III/II/III (33/32/33)10¢ Green, Ty. III/II/III (33/32/33). Vertical strip of three, bottom stamp reperfed at bottom and faulty, tied by “Fort Defiance N.M. Jan. 14” (1859) circular datestamp on cover to Sessenheim, France--carried from Fort Defiance to Albuquerque by military express, then by stage to Santa Fe, and by Hall-Porter contract mail to Independence--red “New York Paid 12 Feb. 19” 12¢ credit datestamp, “ET-UNIS SERV. AM. A.C. C 2 MAR 59” arrival datestamp, transit and receiving backstamps (blurry strikes), cleaned to remove some soiling

VERY FINE APPEARANCE. AN EXCEEDINGLY RARE COVER TO EUROPE FROM FORT DEFIANCE IN NEW MEXICO TERRITORY.

Fort Defiance, the first military post in present-day Arizona (then part of New Mexico Territory), was established on September 18, 1851, by Col. Edwin V. Sumner during his campaign against the Navajo. The conflicts with Navajo, generally over use of land for grazing and theft of livestock, escalated into two major attacks—one in 1856 and another in 1860. In 1861, with the start of the Civil War, the U.S. Army abandoned Fort Defiance. It was reestablished as Fort Canby in 1863. The fort did not have a U.S. post office until the appointment of John E. Weber as postmaster on April 9, 1856. The post office was discontinued on October 21, 1863. There was no mail contract for service to and from the fort, so military couriers were used to bring mail to Albuquerque, where it was carried by stage to Santa Fe and from there by the Hall-Hockaday contract mail stage to Independence.

Illustrated in Brookman, Vol. I (p. 225)

E. 5,000-7,500
4,000
Back to Top
1047
c
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1047, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory“Fort Buchanan N.M. Dec. 9” (1859) Circular Datestamp--Military Express to Tubac, then by Lathrop’s Buckboard Mail to Tucson, and from Tucson to Memphis by Butterfield Overland Mail, “Fort Buchanan N.M. Dec. 9” (1859) Circular Datestamp--Military Express to Tubac, then by Lathrop’s Buckboard Mail to Tucson, and from Tucson to Memphis by Butterfield Overland Mail“Fort Buchanan N.M. Dec. 9” (1859) Circular Datestamp--Military Express to Tubac, then by Lathrop’s Buckboard Mail to Tucson, and from Tucson to Memphis by Butterfield Overland Mail. Clear strike of circular datestamp on 3¢ Red on Buff Nesbitt entire (U10) addressed to Charles Edmondston, Charleston, South Carolina, receipt docketing “dated 4 decr. 59, Recd 4 Jany 60, Asd 16 [Jan. 1860]”, additional notation on back, without backflap

VERY FINE. A CHOICE STRIKE OF THE FORT BUCHANAN DATESTAMP AND RARE COVER TO CHARLESTON, CARRIED ON THE BUTTERFIELD OVERLAND MAIL ROUTE THROUGH FORT SMITH AND MEMPHIS.

The addressee, Charles Edmondston, was the namesake relative of Private Charles Edmondston Whilden, who served in New Mexico as personal secretary to John Breckinridge Grayson during that future Confederate general’s tenure as a commissary officer. The content of some of Private Whilden’s letters from New Mexico to his brother William were published in the New Mexico Historical Review (April 1965). In 1860-61 Whilden returned to South Carolina and in 1862 he enlisted in the Confederate Army. This average soldier, who suffered from epilepsy, earned fame for his heroic role as a standing “human flag pole” in the Battle of Spotsylvania on May 12, 1864 (Carrying the Flag: The Story of Private Charles Whilden, the Confederacy’s Most Unlikely Hero, Gordon C. Rhea).

The Butterfield route forked at Fort Smith into St. Louis and Memphis branches, and the Fort Smith-Memphis line was subcontracted to another carrier. It seems likely that this Charleston-bound cover was sent via Memphis. Mail and passengers were carried in one of three ways: by rail and stage; over an all-water route on the Arkansas and Mississippi Rivers; or by stage between Fort Smith and Des Arc, suplemented by steamboats on the White and Mississippi Rivers. Very little mail was carried on the Memphis branch.

Ex Rosselat and Dr. Dike

E. 4,000-5,000
6,750
Back to Top
1048
c
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1048, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory“Fort Buchanan N.M, “Fort Buchanan N.M“Fort Buchanan N.M. Feby 2 1860” Circular Datestamp (Manuscript Date)--Earliest Use from Arizona County. 3¢ Dull Red, Ty. III (26), cancelled with manuscript “W’ (initial of Postmaster Thomas F. White) on 3¢ Red on Buff Nesbitt entire (U10) addressed to Theodore M. Koues, care of Messrs. Lovell, Colles & Co., 86 Front Street, New York City (Koues and this firm were grocers and merchants)--carried by military express to Tubac, then by Lathrop’s Buckboard Mail to Tucson, and from Tucson to St. Louis by Butterfield Overland Mail--stamp slightly oxidized, slight edgewear

VERY FINE. A RARE DOUBLE-RATE COVER WITH THE 3-CENT 1857 ISSUE AND THE EARLIEST COVER FROM FORT BUCHANAN AFTER THE CREATION OF ARIZONA COUNTY IN NEW MEXICO.

Effective February 1, 1860, the legislature of New Mexico created Arizona County from the western part of Doña Ana County, which included Fort Buchanan. This cover is the earliest recorded postmark from the newly-established Arizona County.

E. 3,000-4,000
0
Back to Top
1049
 
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1049, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory“Fort Buchanan N.M. Jan. 2[3 or 6] (1860), “Fort Buchanan N.M. Jan. 2[3 or 6] (1860)“Fort Buchanan N.M. Jan. 2[3 or 6] (1860). Circular datestamp ties 1¢ Blue, Ty. V, 3¢ Dull Red, Ty. III, and 5¢ Brown Ty. II (30A) on small piece, 5¢ creased, otherwise Fine, very rare, even as a part of what must have been a spectacular cover

E. 400-500
225
Back to Top
1050
 
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1050, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory10¢ Green, Ty. V (35), 10¢ Green, Ty. V (35)10¢ Green, Ty. V (35). Horizontal pair with pen stroke cancels, used with Mexico 1856 8r Red Lilac (5), “Hermosillo” district overprint, full margin to cut in at top and right, part strike of red “FRANCO EN GUAIMAS” two-line handstamp on 8r and Fort Buchanan N.M. circular datestamp below, Mexican stamp paid rate for 1-3/4-2 ounces over 16 leagues distance to U.S. border, 10¢ stamps paid double U.S. rate from Mexico, entered U.S. mails at Fort Buchanan and carried by Butterfield Overland Mail from Tucson, Very Fine, truly remarkable, even as a piece--this is the only such mixed franking recorded

E. 400-500
425
Back to Top
1051
c
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1051, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory, “Tucson NM Jany 12” (1859) Manuscript Postmark--Butterfield Overland Mail to St. Louis. 3¢ Dull Red, Ty. III (26) with pen strokes on cover to Thomas F. Jones with sender’s directive “By Overland Mail”, pencil recipt docketing “Received January 29, 1859” and “From Theodore Jones”, stamp has corner perf tear and short perfs, cover lightly soiled, Fine, Postmaster Mark Aldrich used pen and ink to postmark mail for nearly two years until sometime in January or February 1859 when the circular datestamp device was purchased at his own expense, this is the latest reported use of manuscript

E. 1,000-1,500
0
Back to Top
1052
c
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1052, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory“Tucson N.M. Feb. 20” (1859)--Earliest Recorded Use of Tucson Circular Datestamp, “Tucson N.M. Feb. 20” (1859)--Earliest Recorded Use of Tucson Circular Datestamp“Tucson N.M. Feb. 20” (1859)--Earliest Recorded Use of Tucson Circular Datestamp. 3¢ Dull Red, Ty. III (26) tied by perfect bold strike of datestamp on yellow cover to Cincinnati, Ohio, with sender’s directive “Via Overland Mail to St. Louis”, docketing with March 8, 1859 receipt date, pencil note “Grosvenor” (Horace C. Grosvenor), corner nicked at bottom left

EXTREMELY FINE. THE EARLIEST RECORDED DATE AND ARGUABLY THE FINEST KNOWN STRIKE OF THE TUCSON CIRCULAR DATESTAMP.

This was sent by the mine operator Horace C. Grosvenor in Tubac (he was killed by Apaches in 1861). It was carried to Tucson on a buckboard operated by S. H. Lathrop under contract with the Tubac postmaster (see page 40). From Tucson it was carried on the eastbound Butterfield stage to St. Louis via Fort Smith (stage to Tipton, Missouri).

See lot 1074 for a related Grosvenor cover

E. 3,000-4,000
2,800
Back to Top
1053
c
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1053, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory“Tucson N.M. Mar. 3” (1859), “Tucson N.M. Mar. 3” (1859)“Tucson N.M. Mar. 3” (1859). Bold strike with inverted “3” in date ties two 3¢ Rose, Ty. I (25) on buff cover to Lancaster, New Hampshire, opening tear in backflap is a bit larger than usual and thus noted, but the cover is exceptionally choice

EXTREMELY FINE. A RARE DOUBLE-RATE COVER WITH THE 3-CENT 1857 ISSUE TIED BY A SUPERB STRIKE OF THE TUCSON CIRCULAR DATESTAMP.

This was carried on the eastbound Butterfield stage to St. Louis (Tipton) via Fort Smith.

Ex Dr. Dike

E. 3,000-4,000
0
Back to Top
1054
 
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1054, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory3¢ Rose, Ty. I (25), 3¢ Rose, Ty. I (25)3¢ Rose, Ty. I (25). Vertical pair with bold part strike of “Tucson (N.M.) Aug. (19?)” circular datestamp, unusually well-centered, bottom stamp has two small tears, otherwise Very Fine, rare with the Tucson datestamp

E. 400-500
0
Back to Top
1055
 
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1055, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory5¢ Red Brown (28), 5¢ Red Brown (28)5¢ Red Brown (28). Well-centered, brilliant shade, bold part strike of “(Tu)cson (N.M.) Mar. 30” circular datestamp, corner crease ending in tiny tear at top right, Very Fine appearance, rare with the Tucson datestamp

E. 400-500
225
Back to Top
1056
c
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1056, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory, “Arizona N.M. March 9” (1859) Manuscript Postmark--Butterfield Overland Mail to St. Louis. 3¢ Red on Buff Nesbitt entire (U10) with “X” cancel and “Due 7” for 10¢ over-3,000 miles rate, addressed to Mrs. Jos. Wilson in Philadelphia with sender’s route directive “via Fort Buchanan & St. Louis”

EXTREMELY FINE. ONE OF FOUR REPORTED EXAMPLES OF THE ARIZONA, NEW MEXICO, MANUSCRIPT POSTMARK.

The town of Arizona City (or Arizona) was established in 1854 by Charles D. Poston and originally named Colorado City. Consisting of adobe dwellings, two stores and two saloons, it was situated on the bank of the Colorado River, opposite Fort Yuma, California. By 1858 the town became known as “Arizona City” or simply “Arizona” (the official post office name). John Blake Dow was appointed postmaster on March 17, 1858, but was replaced by Lansford Warren Hastings three months later, on July 17. The post office and Butterfield station were one small counter in the Hooper mercantile store. Originally part of Doña Ana County, New Mexico Territory, on February 1, 1860, Arizona City became part of Arizona County, New Mexico Territory. Arizona County comprised all the land of the Gadsden Purchase west of a line close to the current New Mexico-Arizona border.

The sender specified Fort Buchanan in his route directive, but the Butterfield mail stage did not pass through that fort. It was picked up on the east bank of the Yuma Crossing and carried to St. Louis via Tucson, north of Fort Buchanan. A later cover from the same correspondence (March 22, lot 1027) has the correct Tucson route directive--it was picked up as a way letter east of Arizona City (and west of Tucson), indicating that the sender was traveling in an easterly direction from the California border. The Arizona City postmaster, Lansford Warren Hastings, assessed 7¢ due on the cover offered here for the 10¢ over-3,000 mile rate.

Ex Dr. Dike

E. 4,000-5,000
0
Back to Top
1057
c
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1057, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory10¢ Green, Ty. I (31), 10¢ Green, Ty. I (31)10¢ Green, Ty. I (31). Cancelled by two pen strokes with “Arizona N.M. April 13” (1859) manuscript postmark on cover to Mrs. Sarah B. Dow in Portland, Maine, sender’s directive “Overland Via St. Louis”, repaired opening faults along top edge do not appear to affect stamp, carried by Butterfield stage from Arizona City to St. Louis (stage to Tipton, Missouri)

VERY FINE APPEARANCE. THE LATEST OF ONLY FOUR REPORTED EXAMPLES OF THE ARIZONA, NEW MEXICO, MANUSCRIPT POSTMARK.

The town of Arizona City (or Arizona) was established in 1854 by Charles D. Poston and originally named Colorado City. Consisting of adobe dwellings, two stores and two saloons, it was situated on the bank of the Colorado River, opposite Fort Yuma, California. By 1858 the town became known as “Arizona City” or simply “Arizona” (the official post office name). John Blake Dow was appointed postmaster on March 17, 1858, but was replaced by Lansford Warren Hastings three months later, on July 17. The post office and Butterfield station were one small counter in the Hooper mercantile store. Originally part of Doña Ana County, New Mexico Territory, on February 1, 1860, Arizona City became part of Arizona County, New Mexico Territory. Arizona County comprised all the land of the Gadsden Purchase west of a line close to the current New Mexico-Arizona border.

The manuscript postmark was applied by Arizona City postmaster, Lansford Warren Hastings.

E. 5,000-7,500
0
Back to Top
1058
c
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1058, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory“Arizona N.M. Jan. 4” (1860) Circular Datestamp on Wells, Fargo & Co. Express Cover Carried by Butterfield Overland Mail, “Arizona N.M. Jan. 4” (1860) Circular Datestamp on Wells, Fargo & Co. Express Cover Carried by Butterfield Overland Mail“Arizona N.M. Jan. 4” (1860) Circular Datestamp on Wells, Fargo & Co. Express Cover Carried by Butterfield Overland Mail. Blurry but readable strike of circular datestamp on 10¢ Pale Green on Buff Nesbitt entire (U18a) with red Wells, Fargo & Co. printed frank, addressed to Miss Rhoda H. Stevens, Rome, New York, same name and address noted on back, right edge restored (originally reduced slightly into embossed stamp)

VERY FINE APPEARANCE. THE ONLY RECORDED WELLS, FARGO & CO. EXPRESS COVER ORIGINATING IN ARIZONA--CARRIED ON THE BUTTERFIELD OVERLAND MAIL STAGE.

Wells, Fargo & Co. used the Butterfield Overland Mail stages to carry express mail and valuable freight across Arizona and New Mexico. This cover was postmarked at Arizona City at the Yuma Crossing and then placed in a Wells Fargo pouch on the eastbound Butterfield stage to Tipton, Missouri (near St. Louis). From there it went by railroad to New York City, where it was handed over to the main post office for final delivery to Rome, New York. It is the only recorded example of Wells Fargo express mail from Arizona.

William Sanders Oury was the agent for both the Overland Mail Company and Wells, Fargo & Company. He later became the first mayor of Tucson and first president of the Society of Arizona Pioneers. Wells Fargo took control of the Overland Mail Company in 1860 and forced out its president, John Butterfield.

Ex Shipley

E. 5,000-7,500
5,000
Back to Top
1059
c
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1059, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory, “Arizona N.M. Jun 1st Paid 30” (1859) Manuscript Postmark on Cover to Prussia. Neatly written postmark and 30¢ Prussian Closed Mail rate on buff cover to Bilstein, North Rhine-Westphalia, Prussia, addressed by Friedrich Louis Brill to Johan Brill and directed “via New York to Bremen”, red “N. York Am. Pkt. 7 Paid Jun. 25” 7¢ credit datestamp, red “AACHEN 9 7/FRANCO” (July 9) framed transit datestamp, “Ausg. 10/7 No. 1” receiving backstamp, vertical fold and minor edgewear

VERY FINE. THE ONLY RECORDED COVER FROM ARIZONA CITY TO A FOREIGN DESTINATION. A TRULY OUTSTANDING TERRITORIAL COVER.

The manuscript postmark was applied by Arizona City postmaster, Lansford Warren Hastings. The 30¢ Prussian Closed Mail rate was paid in Arizona City, and the cover was treated as fully prepaid in New York’s foreign mail office, which credited the Prussian mail authorities 7¢. The cover traveled by stagecoach from Arizona City to Tipton, Missouri (near St. Louis), by railroad to New York City, and by transatlantic steamship to Europe. The ocean voyage was on the Havre Line’s Fulton, which departed New York on June 25, 1860, and arrived in Southampton July 7 and Le Havre July 8.

Fascinating biographical information regarding the sender, a Prussian immigrant named Friedrich Louis Brill, can be found at https://repository.asu.edu/attachments/196399/content/BRILL-F.PDF and https://cals.arizona.edu/azaqua/extension/Classroom/AZAqua.htm . Brill came to the United States in 1849 and succeeded in different business enterprises, eventually establishing a cattle business and fish farm in Arizona.

E. 4,000-5,000
3,250
Back to Top
1060
c
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1060, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory, “Tubac, N.M. July 28” (1859) Manuscript Postmark. 3¢ Dull Red, Ty. III (26) with pen strokes cancel on blue folded cover to J. B. G. Isham, captain of the Pacific Mail Steamship Co.’s Golden Gate, addressed to Guaymas, Mexico, no Mexican postage due and forwarded to San Francisco without charge, slightly reduced at left, stamp has large tear and pre-use crease

VERY FINE APPEARANCE. THE ONLY KNOWN TUBAC MANUSCRIPT POSTMARK ON A COVER TO MEXICO, WHICH WAS UNDELIVERABLE AND SENT ON TO SAN FRANCISCO.

The complete story of Captain J. B. G. Isham’s involvement in disputed land claims in Sonora will be found in Pamphlets on Lower California.1859-1887, Volume 1 (available at Google Books).

E. 2,000-3,000
0
Back to Top
1061
c
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1061, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory, “Tubac, N.M. Aug. 4” (1859) Manuscript Postmark--Lathrop’s Buckboard Mail to Tucson, and from Tucson to St. Louis by Butterfield Overland Mail. 3¢ Rose, Ty. I (25) with pen strokes cancel on yellow cover to Thomas F. Jones in Columbus, Ohio, pencil docketing “From Theodore Jones, Received the 23 August 1859 No. 46”, cover has edge nicks at bottom and staining on back

VERY FINE. EXTREMELY RARE TUBAC MANUSCRIPT POSTMARK ON A COVER CARRIED BY LATHROP’S BUCKBOARD CONTRACT MAIL TO TUCSON AND FROM THERE BY BUTTERFIELD.

The manuscript Tubac postmark was applied by Postmaster D. F. Hulseman, who contracted with S. H. Lathrop, treasurer of the Sonora Exploration and Mining Co., to carry mail on weekly buckboard trips between the two towns (see page 40).

E. 2,000-3,000
0
Back to Top
1062
c
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1062, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory, “Tubac, N.M. Nov. 24” (1859) Manuscript Postmark. 3¢ Dull Red, Ty. III (26) with pen strokes on yellow cover to Cincinnati, receipt docketing “H. C. Grosevenor, Nov. 20 - 1859”, sender’s directive “Via OM to St. Louis”, sent by the mine operator H. C. Grosvenor in Tubac (killed by Apaches in 1861--see lot 1074), carried by Lathrop’s Buckboard Mail to Tucson and then by Butterfield stage, edge faults, Fine, accompanied by four covers with Tubac manuscript postmarks from the Jones correspondence, each with a 1¢ 1857 intact but 5¢ 1857 peeled off

E. 1,000-1,500
0
Back to Top
1063
c
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1063, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory, 1859 August 22--Addressed to “Phocion R. Way, Tubac in Arazonia N.M., Via St. Louis or Memphis, The Overland Mail”. 3¢ Red on Buff Nesbitt entire (U10) with clearly written address, “Wilmington O. Aug. 22” (1859) circular datestamp, small scuff in “N.M.” and small tear, Very Fine, Phocion R. Way was an employee of Charles Poston, he arrived in Tuscon in June 1858 and kept a diary of his travels and observations

E. 750-1,000
400
Back to Top
1064
c
Sale Number 1189, Lot Number 1064, Arizona Area of New Mexico Territory“Pimos Vills N.M. Aug. 23” (1859) Circular Datestamp, “Pimos Vills N.M. Aug. 23” (1859) Circular Datestamp“Pimos Vills N.M. Aug. 23” (1859) Circular Datestamp. Partly legible “dry” strike ties 3¢ Rose, Ty. I (25) on yellow cover addressed to “Theo Jones Esq. Down Coach Coming East”--meaning the addressee was on a previous eastbound stagecoach, the driver inquired at each Butterfield station until it was delivered (in Texas), slightly reduced at left, stamp has small perf flaw

FINE. AN EXTREMELY RARE EXAMPLE OF THE PIMA VILLAGES HANDSTAMPED POSTMARK.

Pima Villages comprised the Akimel O’odham (Pima) and Pee-Posh (Maricopa) villages in what is now the Gila River Indian Community in Pinal County, Arizona. The mail was handled by Silas St. John, who was appointed postmaster on June 21, 1859. St. John had previously managed the construction of stations for the San Antonio and San Diego Mail Line. In September 1858 he was attacked during the night by Mexican workers. His two American companions were murdered, but St. John survived the brutal axe attack, which resulted in the amputation of his left arm. After his recovery he was made station agent of Pima Villages. The post office was located at the stage station St. John operated for the Butterfield Overland Mail Company at Sacaton. St. John was replaced as postmaster by Cyrus Lennan on January 11, 1860.

See lot 1163 for manuscript postmark

E. 2,000-3,000
0
Back to Top
Copyright 2019. All rights reserved by Siegel Auction Galleries Inc. Information and images may be used with credit to Siegel Auction Galleries or siegelauctions.com subject to guidelines and restrictions.
Website Terms of Use and Privacy Policy