EXTREMELY FINE STRIKE OF THE RARE GREENISH-BLUE NEW YORK CONGRESSIONAL POST STRAIGHTLINE. FROM A NEW FIND AND OFFERED TO THE MARKET FOR THE FIRST TIME.
The Congressional Post was formed by the resolution of July 26, 1775, appointing Benjamin Franklin as the first Postmaster General of the United States. The distinctive greenish-blue ink was used by the New York post office in 1775 and 1776 after introduction of markings for the newly-created Congressional Post.
A privately maintained census by Steven Walske records fewer than 15 examples of the greenish-blue straightline in private hands. This is a new addition to the census and is also an early use
VERY FINE. A RARE "LAREDO" STRAIGHTLINE HANDSTAMP ON A FOLDED LETTER SENT TO A MEMBER OF THE MEXICAN MILITARY DURING THE TEXAS REPUBLIC PERIOD.
Monclova is located in the northern state of Coahuila and was first settled in 1577. It was the capitol of Coahuila y Texas. During the Mexican-American War it had a population of approximately 8,000; General Wool rested his men there in October 1846. The destination of this cover, San Fernando de Rosas, is the municipal seat of the Zaragosa municipality in Coahuila. The "Laredo" straightline was used by the Mexican postal administration.
Unlisted in the American Stampless Cover Catalog