Contact Siegel
6 West 48th Street
9th Floor
New York, NY 10036
Contact by phone:
New York: (212) 753-6421
Dallas: (214) 754-5991

Sale 1159 — 2017 Rarities of the World

Sale Date — Tuesday, 27 June, 2017

Category — Congressional Post and Texas

Lot
Symbol
Photo/Description
Cat./Est. Value
Realized
8
c
Sale Number 1159, Lot Number 8, Congressional Post and Texas(New York City, 1775) "N* YORK*SEP:4", (New York City, 1775) "N* YORK*SEP:4"(New York City, 1775) "N* YORK*SEP:4". Perfect strike of greenish-blue straightline handstamp with large numeral date on flap of small folded letter datelined "Northkingston Aug. 8, 1775" to Henry Barbor in Philadelphia, "Newport" manuscript postmark and "4d 1/8" rate (1dwt 8gr, representing the old Parliamentary Post single rate), some slight soiling and tiny edge nicks, split along a fold not affecting the front or the panel with the New York postmark

EXTREMELY FINE STRIKE OF THE RARE GREENISH-BLUE NEW YORK CONGRESSIONAL POST STRAIGHTLINE. FROM A NEW FIND AND OFFERED TO THE MARKET FOR THE FIRST TIME.

The Congressional Post was formed by the resolution of July 26, 1775, appointing Benjamin Franklin as the first Postmaster General of the United States. The distinctive greenish-blue ink was used by the New York post office in 1775 and 1776 after introduction of markings for the newly-created Congressional Post.

A privately maintained census by Steven Walske records fewer than 15 examples of the greenish-blue straightline in private hands. This is a new addition to the census and is also an early use

E. 2,000-3,000
9,500
c
Sale Number 1159, Lot Number 9, Congressional Post and Texas(Texas-Mexican Administration, 1844) "LAREDO", (Texas-Mexican Administration, 1844) "LAREDO"(Texas-Mexican Administration, 1844) "LAREDO". Clear strike of handstamp in fancy frame on folded letter datelined "Laredo Agosto 11 del 1844" to a captain in the company de Monclova near San Fernando de Rosas, some docketing in address at right

VERY FINE. A RARE "LAREDO" STRAIGHTLINE HANDSTAMP ON A FOLDED LETTER SENT TO A MEMBER OF THE MEXICAN MILITARY DURING THE TEXAS REPUBLIC PERIOD.

Monclova is located in the northern state of Coahuila and was first settled in 1577. It was the capitol of Coahuila y Texas. During the Mexican-American War it had a population of approximately 8,000; General Wool rested his men there in October 1846. The destination of this cover, San Fernando de Rosas, is the municipal seat of the Zaragosa municipality in Coahuila. The "Laredo" straightline was used by the Mexican postal administration.

Unlisted in the American Stampless Cover Catalog

E. 2,000-3,000
2,800
Back to Top
Copyright 2021. All rights reserved by Siegel Auction Galleries Inc. Information and images may be used with credit to Siegel Auction Galleries or siegelauctions.com subject to guidelines and restrictions.
Website Terms of Use and Privacy Policy