VERY FINE AND BEAUTIFUL COVER. SEVENTEEN FRANKLIN CARRIER COVERS ARE RECORDED, OF WHICH TEN ARE CANCELLED BY THE PHILADELPHIA RED STAR.
This superb cover shows proper use of the Franklin Carrier stamp in December 1851 to prepay the fee for delivery within city limits by the carrier department. The Morris census of Franklin Carrier covers contains 17 confirmed examples. Included among the 17 covers are 3 from New York (each tied by the red circular datestamp, one of which is in the New York Public Library), one cover from New Orleans, and 13 covers from Philadelphia (3 tied by blue circular datestamp, 9 cancelled by red star but not tied, and one tied by red star).
Ex Seybold and Kuphal. With 2009 P.F. certificate. Scott Retail for a cover from Philadelphia $17,500.00
VERY FINE. ONE OF THE MOST ATTRACTIVE OF THE FIFTEEN RECORDED EXAMPLES OF THE PHILADELPHIA DESPATCH POST RED 15L1 STAMP.
Ex Hollowbush, Schwartz and D.K. Collection. With 2003 P.F. certificate.
VERY FINE. AN EXTREMELY RARE EXAMPLE OF THE DUPUY & SCHENCK BEEHIVE STAMP TIED BY A HANDSTAMPED MARKING.
VERY FINE AND EXTREMELY RARE. ONLY SEVEN OFF-COVER EXAMPLES RECORDED, PLUS THE FAMOUS CASPARY COVER. ONE OF THE RAREST OF ALL LOCAL POST STAMPS.
Robison & Co. was a relatively small local post in Brooklyn, New York. Elliott Perry located three Robisons in the city directory listings who were in the express business: Cornelius D. Robison at 140 Chambers, 1857-58; Francis Robison at 707 Greenwich, 1857-58; and William Robison at 64 Cedar, 1852-53. It is not known which, if any, of these men was the proprietor.
The most famous example of the Robison & Co. local-post stamp is the one tied on cover to Jas. H. Watson, 231 Henry Street in Brooklyn. The cover was discovered circa 1895 by F. E. Kneeland Jr., a Brooklyn teen-aged boy who found it while searching through a relative's papers. It passed to Ferrary, then to Caspary, and was later to become one of the cornerstones of the Boker collection. Other examples of Robison & Co.'s stamp must have been discovered in the 1860's, because catalogues published in 1864 and 1865 contain listings for a Robison & Co. post.
Our records contain eight examples of 128L1, including seven off cover and the one on cover. Five of the off-cover stamps are known to have small faults.
Ex Kuphal. With 1998 P.F. certificate
EXTREMELY FINE GEM. UNQUESTIONABLY THE FINEST OF THE FOUR RECORDED USED EXAMPLES. ASTOUNDING CONDITION FOR ANY LOCAL POST STAMP, BUT ESPECIALLY SO FOR THIS EXTREME RARITY.
According to Henry E. Abt's series on Chicago local posts (American Philatelist, Aug. 1957), Whittelsey & Co. started its express in late 1857. The 1857-58 Cooke's directory lists Whittelsey & Co. at 194 Lake Street, but the following year the firm does not appear -- it evidently folded, and the Whittelseys moved West. The proprietors are identified as Edmund A. and Samuel M. Whittelsey, who were first cousins, according to Dr. D. E. F. Easton (Scott's Monthly Journal, May 1956).
Apart from the block of twelve, ex Hall, only a few unused singles are known, as well as six used examples. No covers are known.
Ex Golden and D.K. Collection. With 1999 P.F. certificate
EXTREMELY FINE (OR APPEARING) SET OF WELLS, FARGO & COMPANY'S HORSE & RIDER STAMPS ISSUED FOR USE ON THE LEGENDARY PONY EXPRESS. VERY FEW SETS OF THIS HIGH QUALITY COULD BE ASSEMBLED.
The Pony Express was launched in 1860 by the overland freight express firm operated by William H. Russell, Alexander Majors and William B. Waddell. In an attempt to secure the lucrative government mail contract, the Central Overland California & Pikes Peak Express Company announced that it would carry letters between California and the railroad terminus at St. Joseph, Missouri, in less than ten days. The earliest advertisements appeared in January 1860, and the first pony rider left the Alta Telegraph office in San Francisco at 4:00 p.m. on April 3, 1860. The expressman and his bag of mail did not actually ride off toward St. Joseph. He first boarded the steamer New World and traveled up the Sacramento River to Sacramento. From there another horse and rider galloped off on the first leg of the journey. Several riders and horses were used along the arduous journey, and the mail reached St. Joseph ten days later, on April 13. The operation continued until October 1861.
Commencing July 1, 1861, the Pony Express was authorized by Congress to carry mail at the rate of $1.00 per half ounce. An additional fee was charged by Wells, Fargo & Co. to carry mail from San Francisco to the western terminus at Placerville. The contract also stipulated the mandatory U.S. postage charge of 10c per half ounce. Although the Scott Catalogue lists the July 1861 issue Pony Express stamps (143L3-143L6) with other private post issues, we wish to emphasize that these stamps were issued under the terms of a government mail contract; therefore, they have semi-official status.
Although some of the Horse & Rider stamps were remaindered, they are scarce, and the vast majority do not have four margins or original gum. This choice set would be extremely difficult to duplicate.
Each stamp with 2007 P.S.E. certificate