VERY FINE APPEARANCE. ONLY TEN EXAMPLES OF FLOYD'S GREEN STAMP ARE KNOWN TO US, AND OF THESE ONLY TWO HAVE ORIGINAL GUM.
John R. Floyd advertised the start of his Penny Post in July 1860. In June 1861, after the outbreak of the Civil War, Floyd sold the firm to Charles W. Mappa, but continued to assist in managing the post for several months before leaving for war in January 1862. Mappa in turn sold out to Kimball & Waterman in May 1862, and the post continued at least until November 1862 and then closed.
The Brown and Blue stamps were the first issued, and the Blue continued to be issued from 1860 through 1862. The Green stamps are known used only in October and November 1862, thus they appear to be the last printing, probably by Kimball & Waterman before the post was closed. The Blue is the most common, and the Brown is extremely scarce. The Green is by far the rarest, with only two recorded covers, five or six used stamps off cover, and three unused stamps (two with original gum) known to us. (Sources: Abt's American Philatelist series on Chicago local posts and Stimmell's article in The Penny Post, Jan. 1997).
Listed but unpriced in Scott.
ONE OF THREE OR FOUR KNOWN EXAMPLES OF THE FREEMAN & CO. EXPRESS STAMP. A MAJOR RARITY OF THE TRANSCONTINENTAL EXPRESSES.
John H. Freeman was a prominent California expressman. In 1851 he sold his business to Adams & Co. and became their agent in Sacramento and Panama. Soon after the collapse of Adams in 1855, Freeman established Freeman & Co.'s Express, and his business grew until November 1859, when he stopped service after selling out to Wells, Fargo & Co.
The Freeman & Co. "To be dropped in New-York Post-Office" Blue stamp is identical -- except for the company name -- to Wells, Fargo & Co.'s Black stamp, listed as Scott 143LP1. It is likely that Freeman & Co. started the service not long before selling out in 1859. Freeman would carry letters outside the mails from California to New York and deposit them (with or without U.S. postage) into the post office. Wells, Fargo & Co. adapted the same stamp design in 1860. The "Dropped" stamps of Freeman or Wells Fargo are extremely rare, and it seems that they were not used extensively. Of the Freeman & Co. stamp, there are two confirmed off-cover examples (and a possible third) and one genuine cover.
Ex Perry and illustrated in his Pat Paragraphs series.
VERY FINE. A SUPERB TIED EXAMPLE OF THE GRAFFLIN'S DESPATCH STAMP IN COMBINATION WITH THE 1851 ISSUE. ONE OF THE FINEST OF THE FEW TIED COMBINATIONS KNOWN.
Ex Waterhouse and Hollowbush. Scott value $4,000.00.
FINE APPEARANCE. ONLY FOUR EXAMPLES OF THE JEFFERSON MARKET STAMP ON PINK PAPER ARE RECORDED. AN OUTSTANDING NEW YORK CITY LOCAL ISSUE.
The Jefferson Market P.O. was not officially connected to the New York Post Office, but used the "Post Office" designation in its name, much like Swarts and other contemporaries. The post is believed to have been operated by Godfrey Schmidt, who was listed in the 1850-51 city directory as Godfrey Smith at 6 Greenwich Avenue (source: Elliott Perry). In addition to the stamps issued by the Jefferson Market P.O., a stampless cover was reported by Thomas C. Mazza in The Penny Post (Jan. 1995). The stampless folded letter is addressed to Sing Sing N.Y. and bears a clear strike of a large Eagle-type frame containing "Jefferson Market Post Office/BY G. SCHMIDT & CO." in two lines. It also has a red New York Jun. 30 datestamp, and the letter is year-dated 1850. One of the recorded 88L2 covers is clearly dated Apr. 15, 1851, which establishes at least a ten-month existence for the post, corresponding to the city directory listing for Godfrey Schmidt.
Our records contain four examples of 88L1 (Pink paper), all uncancelled off cover, and four of 88L2 (Blue paper), used on separate covers. We list all of the 88L1's here: 1) unused, surface cracks, ex Caspary, Boker, Lilly, Golden (realized $7,500 hammer); 2) unused, surface cracks, ex Abt, Golden (realized $3,750 hammer); 3) unused, surface cracks, ex Caspary (on cover, did not originate), Middendorf (on piece); and 4) unused, creases, surface cracks, the stamp offered here.
VERY FINE APPEARANCE. ONE OF SIX RECORDED EXAMPLES OF THE JENKIN'S CAMDEN DISPATCH STAMP ON YELLOW PAPER.
The typographed Jenkins' Camden Dispatch stamps and envelopes were produced from the 1853 Scattergood & Telfer woodcut engraving. Our records and information kindly provided by John P. Halstead contain the following examples of 89L2: 1) tied by wavy pen line on cover to A. Browning, Camden, ex Caspary, Middendorf, Golden; 2) tied by blue wavy pen line on part cover (half) to Hudson Sheeve, dated Jan. 1, 1854, ex Caspary; 3) ms. cancel, affixed to a cover to Cuba, but did not originate, Sloane files; 4) off-cover stamp, pen cancel, Johnstone files (Penny Post, Jan. 1991); 5) off-cover stamp, numeral "2" cancel, Springer collection; and 6) the stamp offered here.
VERY FINE APPEARANCE. A VERY RARE TIED EXAMPLE OF THE NEW YORK CITY EXPRESS POST GREEN STAMP. THE ONLY NEW YORK CITY EXPRESS POST COVER WITH A HUDSON RIVER ROUTE AGENT'S MARKING.
The great similarity between this issue and the Boyd's Eagle series can mislead collectors into thinking that 111L1 is common. The New York City Express Post stamp is far rarer, with about fifteen covers known in total, for both the Black on Green and Orange on White stamps. All are to-the-mails usages, and about half are tied.
Signed Elliott Perry.
VERY FINE. THE ONLY RECORDED EXAMPLE OF ANY PIPS DAILY MAIL STAMP WITH A CANCELLATION. AN OUTSTANDING LOCAL-POST RARITY.
Very little is known about Pips Daily Mail, but the stamp itself identifies George Abrahams, Stationer, as the proprietor at 86 Hamilton Avenue in South Brooklyn. The stamps come on five varieties of paper, and, although not rare unused, the cancelled example offered here is the only Pips Daily Mail stamp known used. The double-circle datestamp is typical of the style used in New York City in 1862 and 1863, when the post is reported to have operated.
Ex Mason, Ackerman and Perry. Illustrated in Patton book (p. 289).
VERY FINE. ONLY SIX PRIEST'S 121L6 COVERS ARE RECORDED IN ROTH CENSUS.
The Roth census (Penny Post, January 1994) lists six 121L6 covers, including four in combination with the 3c 1851.
VERY FINE. ONE OF OF THE FINEST OF THE SEVEN REPORTED OFF-COVER EXAMPLES OF ROBISON & CO.'S LOCAL-POST STAMP.
Robison & Co. was a relatively small local post in Brooklyn, New York. Elliott Perry located three Robisons in the city directory listings who were in the express business: Cornelius D. Robison at 140 Chambers, 1857-58; Francis Robison at 707 Greenwich, 1857-58; and William Robison at 64 Cedar, 1852-53. It is not known which, if any, of these men was the proprietor.
The most famous example of the Robison & Co. local-post stamp is the one tied on cover to Jas. H. Watson, 231 Henry Street in Brooklyn. The cover was discovered circa 1895 by F. E. Kneeland Jr., a Brooklyn teen-aged boy who found it while searching through a relative's papers. It passed to Ferrary, then to Caspary, and was later to become one of the cornerstones of the Boker collection. Other examples of Robison & Co.'s stamp must have been discovered in the 1860's, because catalogues published in 1864 and 1865 contain listings for a Robison & Co. post.
Our records contain eight examples of 128L1, including seven off cover and the one on cover. Five of the off-cover stamps are known to have small faults. The stamp offered here and possibly one other (shown in Sloane's records) are the two finest of the group.
Ex Lilly and Perry.
VERY FINE. THE FINER OF THE TWO KNOWN EXAMPLES OF THE YELLOW THIRD AVENUE POST STAMP WITH ORIGINAL GUM.
Ex Perry. The other original-gum stamp (with a thin spot) realized $2,000 hammer in the November 1999 Golden sale.
EXTREMELY FINE STAMP AND COVER. ONLY FOUR YELLOW THIRD AVENUE POST COVERS ARE KNOWN TO US.
The origin of the Third Avenue Post Office was reported in 1872 by W. Dudley Atlee in Vol. X of the Stamp Collectors Magazine, and Atlee's account was quoted in Charles H. Coster's article in the August 1874 American Journal of Philately. It reads, in part: "According to Mrs. S. Allan Taylor, this post was established in 1855 or 1856, by one S. Rothenheim, carrier for Boyd's post. The stamps he made himself, with a handstamp of either brass or metal. He afterwards gummed and trimmed them carefully, and put them up in pill boxes for sale, on the principle that they got lost and destroyed better that way, and more were the sooner asked for. Street letter boxes being generally kept at groceries, the usual place for the stamps was the till or cash drawer, where they got greatly tossed about, and being separate, small and gummed, they were easily destroyed..." Dated covers corroborate the existence of the post in 1855 and 1856. Elliott Perry located four city directory listings for S. Rothenheim (Simon and Simeon), including a letter carrier named Simeon residing at 121 W. 28th Street in 1855, but none in proximity to Third Avenue.
A more detailed summary of this information and an illustration of the cover offered here will be found in the Patton book (p. 241). Ex Perry.