ONE OF THE MOST REMARKABLE CONFEDERATE NAVAL COVERS EXTANT - A CIVILIAN ADVERTISING COVER MODIFIED BY THE COMMANDER OF THE RED ROVER AND USED FROM COLUMBUS, KENTUCKY, WITH THE 10-CENT HOYER & LUDWIG.
This cover was the subject of an article by Brian M. Green, published in The American Philatelist (copy accompanies lot). The Red Rover (see Figure E) was built in 1859 and purchased by the Confederacy at New Orleans in November 1861 to serve as a barracks and accomodations ship for the crew of the New Orleans. Lieut. Guthrie had command of both ships. The Red Rover participated in defending Columbus - this cover was mailed from there - and it later saw action on the Mississippi River. In March 1862 the Red Rover was captured by Union forces and converted to a navy hospital ship, the first of its kind to carry women nurses.