$2.00 Dark Blue (312), full top "BUREAU, ENGRAVING & PRINTING" imprint and plate number 1630 block of six, few small hinge remnants mostly in selvage, deep rich color on bright paper
W. Parsons Todd, Siegel Auction Galleries, 1/10/1978, Sale 521, lot 475
"MLG" collection, Siegel Auction Galleries, 4/21/2009, Sale 971, lot 1377, to William H. Gross
Fine; few minor perf separations sensibly reinforced by small hinges, enlarged staple holes at top, pencil notation on back of two stamps
SCOTT CATALOGUE VALUE (2019)
HISTORY AND COMMENTARY
The Best of Five and the Only Available Top Position
Lewis Kaufman records only four plate blocks of Scott 312 in private hands (each of six stamps).
1) Top plate block (only top position available), offered in this sale
2) Wide bottom plate block, small thin in one stamp, 1967 Rarities of the World sale (Sale 313, lot 105)
3) Bottom plate block, few small faults, 2017 Rarities of the World sale (Sale 1159, lot 216)
4) Bottom plate block, one stamp minor gum glazing, paper spot in margin of top center stamp, perf separations in selvage, ex Wampler
5) Top plate block, Miller collection, The New York Public Library, unavailable to collectors.