FINE. AN EXTREMELY RARE EXAMPLE OF THE PIMA VILLAGES HANDSTAMPED POSTMARK.
Pima Villages comprised the Akimel O’odham (Pima) and Pee-Posh (Maricopa) villages in what is now the Gila River Indian Community in Pinal County, Arizona. The mail was handled by Silas St. John, who was appointed postmaster on June 21, 1859. St. John had previously managed the construction of stations for the San Antonio and San Diego Mail Line. In September 1858 he was attacked during the night by Mexican workers. His two American companions were murdered, but St. John survived the brutal axe attack, which resulted in the amputation of his left arm. After his recovery he was made station agent of Pima Villages. The post office was located at the stage station St. John operated for the Butterfield Overland Mail Company at Sacaton. St. John was replaced as postmaster by Cyrus Lennan on January 11, 1860.
See lot 1163 for manuscript postmark