VERY FINE. ONE OF TWO RECORDED COVERS SHOWING USE OF THE CUMMINGS' CITY POST STAMP IN CONJUNCTION WITH POST OFFICE CITY DESPATCH MARKINGS, WHICH OCCURRED AFTER CUMMINGS AND WRIGHT TOOK OVER THE CITY DESPATCH FROM ABRAHAM MEAD.
Abraham B. Mead operated the "Post Office City Despatch" only briefly after buying it from the New York carrier department on November 30, 1846. A "P.O. City Despatch" receipt dated May 15, 1847, is signed by "Cummings & Wright, Proprietors", so we know for certain that Alfred H. Cummings and Robert Wright bought out Mead by that date. The cover offered here, with the Cummings' City Post stamp used with Post Office City Despatch markings dated in March 1847, is evidence that Cummings and Wright took over by then.
Ex Geisler. With 2009 P.F. certificate