Census of 1c Blue, Type I (Scott 5)
- Condition Factors Unknown (not examined by Wagshal or Trepel)
- Black New York Large Slug in circle used on circular-rate mail. SBA?states, “I believe it was used only on printed circulars as I have never seen its use on a Drop Letter.” The Large Slug handstamp is rare and was used during only part of the period of 7R1E. SBA states that the earliest use he had seen was 11/5/1851 and the latest 1/1/1852. It is always found in black. See SBA book, Vol. 2, pp. 75 and 115
- Purchased as a Type Ib and contained in a collection since the 1920’s. The third generation is maintaining the collection. It includes stamps removed from covers in an extensive business correspondence.
- Siegel 2008 Rarities, Sale 958, 6/7/2008, lot 526 - $47,500 hammer versus $80,000 Scott value
- PFC 465660 "it is genuine"