Census of 1c Blue, Type I (Scott 5)
- File fold in cover far from strip.
- Strip tied by two strikes of black “Saint Louis Mo. Nov. 21/3” integral-rate cds (“3” representing the rate) on blue 1851 folded letter to Galena Ill. The lower left quadrant of 7R1E is cancelled by the cds.
- Signed SBA.
- Ex Samuel W. Richey (according to H. R. Harmer 1/23/1968 auction description).
- Ex Barrett G. Hindes, H.?R. Harmer sale 1/23/1968, lot 31, realized $7,000 vs. $6,000 Scott value.
- Ex Leonard Kapiloff, Siegel #744 10/3/1992, lot 4, unsold vs. $50,000-75,000 estimate, description states “There are ten such multiples with the rare Type I recorded on cover, including nine strips of three and an L-shaped block of three. Nearly all have faults or have part of the design cut away. Only three of these covers may be considered Very Fine or better: the famous Newbury strip from Richmond, Virginia (now in the Ishikawa collection), a cover from North Cumberland, Pennsylvania (although Pos. 6 has a closed tear), and this cover.”