Census of 1c Blue, Type I (Scott 5)
- Used on front only, 1996 description states “front with sealed tear at bottom left” and “Ty. I stamp shows the distinctive full design characteristics well and without interference from the cancel or poor separation”, but indeed the top part of the design is cut away.
- 7R1E tied on cover front (no back panels) with 3c Orange Brown (Scott 10). Stamps cancelled by black grids. Red “New Orleans La. Jun. 10” cds and manuscript “Way 5” marking, probably an 1852 from Mobile Ala. SBA notes describe another cover addressed in the same hand to the same addressee, which originated in Mobile Ala. in March 1852.
- Ex George H. Worthington, J. C. Morganthau sale 8/21/1917, lot 41, realized $102.50 but returned by the buyer because the lack of a top margin was not described (and there are no photos in the catalog). SBA?bid $88.90. Morganthau reoffered the cover at auction on 9/16/1919, lot 104, purchased by SBA.
- Sold by SBA to Philip H. Ward in 1929, who sold it to J. Carlton Wolf of Baltimore.
- Sold by Creed of Baltimore 5/21/1940, lot 5, realized $305 vs. $2,000 Scott value.
- Shreve sale 9/26/1996, lot 237, realized $7,750 vs. $27,500 Scott value off cover.
- PFC 227509 (1993) “Genuine, sealed cover tear at bottom”.