Census of 1c Blue, Type I (Scott 5)
- Slight surface scraping mentioned on 1977 PFC but not mentioned on 1999 PFC. The 1999 Siegel description did not note scrapes in catalogue, but announced the fault at the sale.
- Part of black cds reading “24” and “Ala.” (Mobile)
- John A. Fox sale 3/14/1958, lot 161, realized $1,050 vs. $1,250 Scott value.
- Sotheby Parke Bernet sale 11/21/1977, lot 18, realized $7,500 vs. $10,000 Scott value.
- Shreve sale 10/23/1998, lot 47, realized $21,000 vs. $30,000 Scott value, sold to Richard Champagne (then sold privately to Dr. Carmen A. Puliafito). Shreve description notes “couple tiny and really trivial surface scrapes”.
- Ex Dr. Carmen A. Puliafito, Siegel #818 12/13/1999, lot 7, catalogue description and PFC do not mention surface scrapes, but a saleroom announcement noted the fault. Realized $65,000 vs. $35,000 Scott value. Description also contains frequently repeated statement in Siegel sales pertaining to 7R1E: “The census compiled by Mal Brown contains at least 80 unduplicated records of Scott 5... There are probably no more than ten examples existing outside of the Brown census.”
- PFC 63076 (1977) notes “slight surface scraping”.
- PFC 333392 (1999) “Genuine”, does not note surface scraping.