Census of Alexandria Va., 5c Black on Buff, Postmaster's Provisional (Scott 1X1-1X2)
- Not in Bartels census
- Stamp die cut and cancelled by ms. “No. 70”, crease thru stamp
- Tied by cds on folded cover with address erased, “Alexandria D.C. May 9” (c1846) cds, “Paid” and boxed “5” rate hs in red
- c1933 Discovered and sold to John A. Klemann, Nassau Stamp Co.
- c1933 To Alfred H. Caspary from Klemann
- 1955 Nov. 15 Caspary sale, H. R. Harmer sale, lot 2, $7,400, to Raymond H. Weill Co. for B. D. Phillips
- 1968 To Weill from Phillips
- 1969 Mar. 25, Siegel 1969 Rarities, Sale 350, lot 1, $28,000 (to collector E.G.?)
- 1989 To Weill from collector E.G.
- 1989 Oct. 12 Weill sale, Christie’s RL, lot 602, $210,000, to John Salomon for anonymous collector
- PFC 216456 "It Is A Genuine Usage With THE STAMP BEING A DIE CUT LUFF TYPE II SHOWING 39 STARS."