Census of Alexandria Va., 5c Black on Buff, Postmaster's Provisional (Scott 1X1-1X2)
- The “Tiffany” Copy (Bartels #1)
- Stamp uncancelled, lifted and repositioned
- Front address panel only, addressed to Bartholomew Cranston, Columbia, Pa.
- “Alexandria D.C. Jul. 10” (1846) cds, “Paid” and boxed “5” rate hs in black
- 1872 Discovered by J. K. Tiffany in family papers, announced in Le Timbre Post Feb. 1873
- 1910? To Dudley L. Pickman (from Tiffany estate) through F. P. Brown
- 1913 Exhibited by Pickman at International Philatelic Exhibition in NYC
- 1923 J. M. Bartels articles states that Pickman still owned the Alexandria
- 19(?) To Warren H. Colson; Colson died in 1963, then to Raymond H. Weill Co.
- 1976 To an anonymous collector from Weill
- 19(7?) To Emory Coolidge from Weill
- 198(?) To collector E.G. from Weill
- 1989 To Weill from E.G.
- 1989 Oct. 12 Weill sale, Christie’s RL, lot 603, $77,000, to collector M
- 1991 Sep. 25 Important U.S. Stamps & Covers sale, Christie’s RL, lot 60, $49,500
- PFC 216457 "It Is A Genuine Usage With THE STAMP BEING THE LUFF TYPE I, SHOWING 40 STARS"